Family Advocacy Program to assist parents in child health issues

Syracuse University’s Family Advocacy Program is working to improve the health and well-being of children served by the University Hospital’s Pediatric and Adolescent Center by using community resources.

In a collaborative venture between UPAC, the SU College of Law’s Family Law and Social Policy Center and the Children’s Rights and Family Law Clinic, parents have better access to legal assistance on matters directly affecting their children’s health.

Government aid programs and laws are intended to assist low-income families with their children’s health needs; however, doctors and administrators are often unaware of these programs or do not have the resources to assist families in these areas.

‘The program will provide full pediatric services as well as legal services relating to the child’s health,’ said Sarah H. Ramsey, a non clinical professor of law and director of the Family Law and Social Policy Center. ‘Often times the population at the clinic are persons who have low income and may have difficulty accessing food stamps and other things necessary for their child’s health.’

Approximately 18 law students take an extensive Children’s Law and Family Clinic course taught by Suzette Melndez, a clinical professor and director of the CRC.

These law students will provide legal services under the supervision of full-time law professors, Ramsey said.

‘The law students are the primary case holders in (Family Advocacy Program),’ Melndez said.

FAP is the local chapter of the Medical Legal Partnership for Children, a national program based in Boston that was founded to change health care for vulnerable children and their families nationwide.

‘We really support Syracuse University and have been working with them for sometime to get a program started,’ said Ellen Lawton, director of the Medical Legal Partnership for Children. ‘The need for an advocacy program is definitely there and our model is one that works in a variety of settings.’

Students will represent local, low-income children and their families in federal courts, state courts and before administrative agencies. They also will provide non-litigation legal advocacy.

‘Once a week the students go to the clinic, meet clients and interact with doctors,’ Melndez said. ‘If a child is suffering from asthma because of lead poisoning or vermin infestation, the program tries to improve the circumstances of impoverish families by providing them with legal assistance.’

Michael Raisman, a third-year law student who participates in FAP, said students will do everything from filing paper work, going to trial and talking to other attorneys.

‘Right now we have four or five cases that a group of law students are working on, as well as other cases where we provide legal information,’ Raisman said.

The program complements law students’ formal studies in family legal issues, according to an SU News press release.

UPAC determines whether its child patients require legal assistance to address a specific need affecting the child’s health. Anytime the clinic can’t take a case because there isn’t enough space, the case is sent to Heidi White, executive director of family law and social policy at SU, who will place the case with a pro bono attorney in the community.

‘The program is brand new,’ White said. ‘I’ve only had one case sent to me thus far, but hopefully PAC will play a larger role and more cases will be sent to me to refer out to the community.’

Lawyers and healthcare professionals working together can more effectively address the full spectrum of children’s needs, providing an opportunity to engage in training for physicians, nurses and support staff at the pediatric clinic and a chance for the two professions to learn more about each other’s disciplines, Melndez said.

Rebecca Knapp, outreach coordinator for Boston’s Medical Legal Partnership for Children, said there are close to 30 family advocacy groups across the nation that follow their motto.

‘Hopefully as our program grows other clinics in the area will get involved,’ Melndez said.