Behind the scenes : Tastes like home: Food service workers try to create a sense of family for the students who rely on them

In one year, Syracuse University students on meal plans eat about 816,480 slices of American cheese, 111,450 pounds of french fries, 47,000 pounds of granola, 41,100 pounds of bacon, 25,960 chicken nuggets, 4,548 gallons of apple juice and 3,264 gallons of mayonnaise, according to SU Food Services.

Fortunately, SU Food Services spreads this consumption over five residential dining centers on campus. These facilities serve the 6,700 students on meal plans.

While students devour granola and bacon, SU Food Services is at the front line of customer service. Employees cook and serve food for regular, modified and special diets. They estimate food consumption, keep tables and dining areas clean, set and place orders with suppliers, schedule the delivery of food and beverages, and evaluate the quality of food – before and after it is cooked.

‘Our most important job is to provide service to our student customers,’ said Mark Tewksbury, assistant director of SU Food Services.

Perched on a chair behind a register in the Schine dining complex, Mary Walsh cheerfully inputs prices and code numbers while swiping student IDs and making small talk.

‘The students are the best part of working here,’ she said. ‘You get to know them as freshmen and you form relationships.’

Walsh initially took a job with SU Food Services for the tuition benefits.

‘My son Richard went here for two years and my husband is able to go for his Ph.D. because of the tuition benefits I get from working here,’ she said.

SU offers three dependent tuition options leading to the first bachelor’s degree for the eligible dependents of eligible employees.

‘We’re here to serve students who are away from home and want a comfortable atmosphere,’ said Oscar Gilliam, a food handler in Sadler Dining Center. ‘When you go out to eat, you want good food and good service – that’s what we try to provide everyday.’

Gilliam, who works 6 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday, preparing appropriate pans for cooking, serving and replenishing food from counters and steam tables, said he has a good rapport with students.

‘Most of them call me by name,’ he said. ‘I feel like I’ve known them for a while even though a lot of them I’ve just met.’

Beverly Murphy, a cashier in Schine, agreed.

‘I love the kids,’ she said. ‘I’ve been here 20 years. If it weren’t for the kids, I would have retired a long time ago.’

SU Food Services employs a registered dietitian to assist in menu development, provide nutritional information to students and help plan for such special dietary needs as food allergies and other food-related concerns.

SU Food Services now offers two convenient on-campus grocery stores, one in Dellplain Residence Hall and one in the Robert B. Menschel Media Center in Watson Residence Hall. A full line of wholesome foods are featured, including fresh produce, dairy and bakery products, frozen foods and snack foods.

‘The staff realizes that students are the reason they have jobs,’ Tewksbury said. ‘We’re in the service business and we’d like to do the best job we can.’

Members of the SU Food Services menu committee have been instrumental in promoting a greater variety of nutritionally balanced vegetarian and vegan options in the dining centers.

Shaw Dining Center serves kosher and halal meals at students’ requests.

Students who have class during lunch or dinner can make arrangements with Meals-to-Go to have dinner made ahead of time. Take-out is also available in every dining hall.

Molly Murkett, a manager at Shaw, said dining hall workers receive positive treatment from students.

Murkett, who recruits, hires, trains and supervises student staff, said she thinks people who work at the snack bars get more attitude because students are in a rush between classes.

‘Mostly I stayed at Shaw because it’s like a family,’ said Murkett, a junior anthropology major. ‘I’ve worked there for three years and you get to know all the staff and you’re always joking around with them.’

Susan Bracy, assistant director of Kimmel Food Court, said the majority of students are appreciative and thankful.

‘We hear mostly positive comments from students who come through,’ she said.

Walsh and Murphy said they feel almost like mothers to many of the students.

‘I had a student ask me once if it was a good idea to go out drinking if she was on antibiotics,’ Walsh said. ‘I told her no.’

Gilliam, who has worked at SU Food Services for 21 years, said he enjoys his daily interaction with students.

‘Students will come and talk to us because they feel comfortable around the staff,’ he said. ‘To me, that says a lot.’