Juice Jam 2017

5 things to know about Juice Jam headliner Diplo

Courtesy of University Union

Diplo will perform at Juice Jam 2017. He made headlines when he admitted to GQ that Rihanna rejected a track he sent her.

American DJ and producer Diplo is headlining Juice Jam 2017 on Sept. 10 at North Skytop Field, announced University Union. Here are five things to know before seeing him live:

He has a show on Viceland

James Van Der Beek plays Diplo in Viceland’s TV show “What Would Diplo Do?” He acts alongside DJ Dillon Francis and actor Bobby Lee. Van Der Beek deals with the behind-the-scenes life of the musician. The show’s first season started on Thursday, Aug. 3, and Diplo is one of the show’s producers.

Meaning behind the name

As a child growing up in Tupelo, Mississippi, he was fascinated by dinosaurs. He chose the name “Diplo” because of the dinosaur Diplodocus.

Play ball

Diplo is a minority owner of a United Soccer League team, Phoenix Rising FC. On Jan. 27, 2016, he purchased a share of the soccer club. He is also a supporter of the United States Men’s National team and Arsenal F.C.

Bernie Sanders is his boy

As part of the surprises of the 2016 presidential race, Diplo produced his song “Revolution” to be used in a Bernie Sanders advertisement.

Rihanna once told him his music sounds like a ‘reggae song in an airport’

Rumors floated around about a collaboration between Diplo and Rihanna. In an interview with GQ Style, the DJ revealed that Rihanna said the track he sent her sounded like a reggae song at an airport.