Outdoors Guide 2017

Winter is coming: Road trips to take before Syracuse gets too chilly

Jacqueline Simpson | Staff Illustrator

Get away from Syracuse University. Take a road trip and explore upstate New York's natural views.

UPDATED: Aug. 30, 2017 at 2:05 a.m.

Before the snow takes over, road trips around upstate New York are a must for any student with a car. Grab some friends, hop in the car and buckle up for an upstate road trip.

Abbott Farms 

The farm grounds are a get away from campus and the city. Located in Baldwinsville, New York, the farm is known for its “U-Pick” fruit picking. Fruit picking changes based on which fruit are in season. Apple and blueberries are currently in season.

The farm also has a Country Store, filled with fresh produce and homemade products. JoAnne Peck, the store’s manager, said their homemade fudge and baked goods are the most popular goods.

“We just started another company called Four Daughters Wine and Cidery,” Peck said. “It’s a hard cider, and there’s a little tasting room within the store.”

Distance: 13.5 miles

Time: 25 minutes

Reinstein Woods Nature Preserve and Environmental Education Center

Buffalo may be the birthplace of chicken wings, but it is also home to parks and preserves. Before grabbing some wings, spend time at Reinstein Woods Nature Preserve and Environmental Education Center.

“It’s kind of a more interactive visit than just a place with trails,” said Megan Gollwitzer, a New York State Department of Environmental Conservation representative.

Surrounded by suburbs, the preserve may not stand out, but the 292-acre complex is filled with forests, ponds and wetlands. The preserve’s educational center has guided and self-guided tours.

It also hosts the Annual Fall Festival at Reinstein Woods. On Saturday, Sept. 16 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. the Friends of Reinstein Woods have all day activities, like interactive exhibits from local organizations, a scavenger hunt, crafts and music.

Distance: 145 miles

Time: 2 hours and 25 minutes

Niagara Falls

Passport or no passport, Niagara Falls is a must-take road trip before graduation. On both sides, visitors can ride close by the falls, enjoy dining overlooking the falls and learn about its historic history.

The American side has the Maid of the Mist, and the Canadian side has the Hornblower. Both the boat tours bring visitors to feel the full power of the falls.

The boat rides are closed from November to April due to the cold weather, but another attraction is the helicopter ride over the falls.

Allie Lewandowski, sophomore retail management major, visited the American side of the falls in April with some friends. Lewandowski said that the helicopter ride goes over the falls and the surrounding area for a beautiful view.

Distance: 163 miles

Time: 2 hours and 40 minutes

The post has been updated with appropriate style.