Fast reaction: 3 quick takeaways from Syracuse’s 30-23 loss to Middle Tennessee State

Colin Davy | Staff Photographer

The Middle Tennessee State defense constantly brought pressure, sacking Eric Dungey multiple times and shutting down Syracuse's run game.

In Scott Shafer’s first game back in the Carrier Dome since being fired in 2015, Syracuse (1-1) was unable to down its former head coach. Middle Tennessee State (1-1) pulled away late and stopped SU one yard short on fourth down to pull off the 30-23 upset. This was the Orange’s first game against an FBS opponent this year.

Here are three quick reactions from the game.

Same scheme, different team

Scott Shafer’s defense at Syracuse was known for constantly bringing pressure and trying to rush the quarterback. Earlier in the week Zaire Franklin called it “football 101” that hitting the quarterback is a good way to slow him down. He also said that quarterback Eric Dungey would have to, “be prepared for the fire that’s going to come to him.”

Even though SU knew what was coming, it didn’t seem to know how to stop it in the first half. The first two drives both ended in punts for the Orange. SU was in third-and-long each time and Shafer brought extra defenders. Dungey got sacked both times.

Dungey was sacked three times in total in the first half. He repeatedly took shots from MTSU’s pressure, though. On one first-quarter play, a third-and-16, Dungey took off and gained five yards but stopped before going out of bounds and got knocked over. In the third quarter Dungey left the game for a series after being targeted by a Blue Raider. He returned on the next possession.

None if by land

One of the top priorities for SU in the offseason was improving its lackluster running game from a year ago. SU was retuning a relatively young offensive line, but one that was confident things would be better. Franklin called running back Dontae Strickland the most improved player on the team during training camp.

The Orange couldn’t get anything going last week against Central Connecticut State, as Strickland and Moe Neal combined for just 56 yards on 19 carries. Things didn’t get much better against Middle Tennessee State.

The first half ended with SU gaining under 40 yards on over 20 carries and the leading rusher for the Orange was fullback Chris Elmore.

Syracuse’s most effective threat on the ground was when it ran inside receiver Ervin Philips on sweep plays. And Dungey did manage to score a 29-yard rushing touchdown to tie the game early in the fourth quarter. But for the second straight game, SU’s rushing game gave it close to nothing.

Feeling gassed

While the Orange offense failed to convert on its opportunities in the first half, the defense kept it in the game. Syracuse limited Middle Tennessee State to nine points and 143 yards of offense in the first half. The defense also forced two fumbles and picked off a Brent Stockstill pass.

Things didn’t stay that way in the second half. The Blue Raiders had nickled-and-dimed the Orange on screen passes earlier in the game, but now more deep plays were opening up.

Wide receiver Richie James scored a touchdown to tie the game late in the third quarter streaking down the middle of the field from his position in the slot for a 28-yard score. To start the fourth quarter, Blue Raider Ty Lee burned Chris Fredrick on a streak for a 48-yard score. SU’s defenders spent decent chunks of the fourth quarter with their hands on their hips, looking tired.

MTSU took the lead for good when receiver Shane Tucker caught a ball in the flat near the goal line. Cornerback Juwan Dowels tried to tackle him low, so Tucker leapt over him and into the end zone. A defense that had kept the Orange in it for most of the day had run out of plays.