Steve Ishmael steps up as top receiver in Syracuse’s blowout win against Central Connecitcut State

Todd Michaelek | Contributing Photographer

Steve Ishmael hauled in 12 receptions for 134 yards in the first game of his senior year.

UPDATED: Sept. 10, 2017 at 10:53 p.m.

Steve Ishmael lined up directly in front of Carlton Nash waiting for the snap. It was the second play of the game, and the first was just a one-yard rush.

Syracuse’s 6-foot-2, 209-pound wide receiver ran straight, dipping his shoulder and running to the outside of Central Connecticut States’ 5-foot-10, 180-pound defensive back. No safety help came over the top.

Quarterback Eric Dungey threw the ball 34 yards down the field. Ishmael stopped, turned and high-pointed the ball, bodying Nash as he caught it over him for the big gain. Ishmael shook his hand out after the play, almost in a “get off me” motion.

“There were a lot of holes in their defense,” Ishmael said. “A lot of opportunities.”

In college football, whenever a top player graduates, there are questions of how he’ll be replaced. When that player is Amba Etta-Tawo, a wide receiver who plastered his name in the Syracuse records books, it’ll dominate the conversation leading up to the season.

It’s only been one game, but SU (1-0) seems to have found the answer in Ishmael. The senior wide receiver finished with 12 catches and 134 receiving yards, both career highs. The senior was targeted early and often and was the most consistent threat on the outside in the Orange’s 50-7 blowout victory over Central Connecticut State (0-1) on Friday night in the Carrier Dome.

It’s not an exact replica for SU. Ishmael’s large frame and hands have always been his most reliable factors. Conversely, Etta-Tawo’s speed and ability to stretch the field was what helped him be as successful as he was last year. Still, even if it might be a different execution method, Ishmael will be the one making plays on the outside.

“Steve, he balled out. He did what he had to do,” fellow wide receiver Ervin Philips said. “He’s going to be the one that makes the big catch when we need it. Those deep catches, those one-on-one balls, he’ll be able to come up with those.”

Ishmael impressed from the start of his Syracuse career. He finished his freshman season second on the team in receptions and receiving yards with 27 and 415, respectively. He also led the team with three touchdowns. His sophomore season he led the Orange in all three categories.

Last year, though, Ishmael was bumped from his top spot. While the SU passing attack put up consistently gaudy numbers, Ishmael’s stayed relatively close to par. He only had nine more receptions than his sophomore season while his receiving yards dipped.

“Just looking at Amba, I feel like he was a great motivator for me,” Ishmael said when asked if he was ever frustrated by his role last season. “…I feel like last year was a really good learning experience for me … I feel like it just humbled me and allowed me to appreciate playing football.”

Head coach Dino Babers was happy with the effectiveness of the passing game. Ishmael tried to downplay his role in the effort, saying that he got more looks because that’s what the defense allowed.

“They were just giving us Steve today,” quarterback Eric Dungey said. “Steve did a great job when his name was called and the other guys did as well.”

The quarterback and wide receiver can try and downplay Ishamel’s performance to gameflow. The other two top outside receivers — Jamal Custis and Devin Butler — did have some good moments in the game. But Custis only had five career receptions coming into the season. Butler only having five career games played.

Babers said that he’d need multiple players to try and replicate Etta-Tawo’s production from a year ago. And as the season goes on, he might be right. But tonight, it was Ishmael who went to reclaim his role as the top threat on the outside.