This SU professor helped document humanitarian crises in Syria. Now he’s retiring from teaching.

David Crane, a professor of practice in the College of Law, will continue to investigate humanitarian crises after retiring from teaching.

David Crane, a Syracuse University professor of practice who helped create a program to document humanitarian crises in Syria, is retiring after teaching for 12 years at the College of Law.

Crane, who graduated from the College of Law in 1980, practices law related to war crimes and crimes against humanity. From 2002-05, Crane served on the Special Court for Sierra Leone. During his tenure, he investigated war crimes that occurred during Sierra Leone’s civil war in the 1990s. He indicted Liberian President Charles Taylor for charges related to war crimes.

While at SU, Crane created the Syrian Accountability Project to document humanitarian crises in Syria. Crane also worked with College of Law students to investigate such crises.

The Daily Orange spoke with Crane to discuss his career at the university and in international law.

The Daily Orange: Why did you choose to attend the College of Law at SU?

David Crane: I had applied to several law schools, and what really decided it for me was my father-in-law. He was a graduate of Syracuse University, Class of 1943. Secondly, my mother was very, very ill living in Liberty, New York. I was either going to Georgetown or Syracuse, so I had decided to go to Syracuse for those reasons.

The D.O.: Can you talk about your time as chief prosecutor for the Special Court for Sierra Leone?

D.C.: It was a real privilege and honor to be asked by the international community and the secretary general to go over and seek justice for victims of a horror story who saw the murder, rape and mutilation of over 1.2 million people.

One never seeks that kind of high office — it just comes because you have had a long career with a reputation of getting things done. Creating new organizations and managing them to success, and being someone one can rely on.

The D.O.: What made you want to become a professor at SU?

D.C.: The chancellor at the time, as well as the dean, had reached out to me in March of 2005. I had just submitted my resignation to the secretary general. My work in Sierra Leone was done.

They had asked me if I would like to come back and teach at my alma mater, and I said I would love to, but my wife has a career in the Defense Intelligence Agency. I can’t live in Syracuse — we were living in D.C. And they said, “Well that’s not a problem, we will fly you up.”

And so, I began my long journey of flying up on Tuesday and leaving on Thursday while teaching a full load of classes.

The D.O.: Can you discuss the Syrian Accountability Project?

D.C.: The Syrian National Congress had asked me to come see them in The Hague to advise them on what justice mechanisms might be available to prosecute (Bashar al-Assad) and his henchmen in 2011. I went there to advise them and also decided they needed help in that regard. So, I used my methodology and took what I learned in West Africa and began my work.

We are in (our) eighth year now, compiling a case against all warring parties. Even though I am retiring from Syracuse, the Syrian Accountability Project will move from Syracuse to my consulting firm, and we will continue our work there.

The D.O.: Can you speak about the times you assisted the United Nations Security Council?

D.C.: I have done it many, many ways. I am the one who came up with the idea of the International Independent and Impartial Mechanism for Syria back in August of 2016.

The D.O.: What was the most rewarding thing teaching at SU has brought you?

D.C.: Seeing my students learn and graduate and take over jobs which I had helped put them in and see them flourish. That’s the best part about being a professor, seeing your students take what you taught them and becoming successful citizens.