Syracuse Grows prepares for spring gardening season

Sarah Allam | Head Illustrator

Urban farming has been gaining popularity throughout the country and has popped up in Syracuse thanks to organizations like Syracuse Grows.

The grassroots organization aims to cultivate food justice through advocacy, education and resources in support of urban food production. Syracuse Grows educates neighborhoods about the beauty of urban farming and provide resources for local farmers.

The Daily Orange sat down with Evan Weissman, a founding board member of Syracuse Grows, to discuss the organization’s local impact as it prepares for the spring gardening season.

The Daily Orange: What is Syracuse Grows?

Evan Weissman: Syracuse Grows is a small, grassroots, networked organization that connects people with resources as well as each other and supports food production. Through the acquisition of resources, education and advocacy, it is a collectivized voice in Syracuse and encourages urban farming.

When it first started, there were only three or four gardens and no farms. Now, on its 10th anniversary, there are around 25 gardens and three urban farms — two of which are in Syracuse and one peri-urban farm located just outside the city. What is harvested in the gardens is not meant for selling, but the harvests from the farms are produced for the market.

The D.O.: What is the goal of Syracuse Grows?

E.W.: Syracuse Grows advocates for garden sustainability. The organization does not want them to disappear as interest in them fades. The goal is to support communities and neighbors and work in partnership with others to achieve garden sustainability.

The D.O.: Is Syracuse Grows hosting any upcoming events?

E.W.: There is a Spring Drive on April 21, which is a signature event hosted every year to kick off the gardening season. Hundreds of volunteers attend to distribute key supplies to local gardeners.

The D.O.: If people want to get involved, how can they?

E.W.: There are a variety of opportunities to get involved with Syracuse Grows. There is event participation where volunteers are needed only for the day. Sometimes the university will bus students to the events or they can sign up, or sometimes volunteers can just show up the day of the event. The organization can also direct interested people to neighborhood gardens near them.

If people are interested in being more involved, they can start a long-term commitment to Syracuse Grows by interning at the organization or starting their own garden. SUNY-ESF has a garden located on Lafayette Road, and there are other gardens scattered around the area that people can volunteer at.