Bandersnatch 2018

5 things to know about Bandersnatch headliner SahBabii

Syracuse University’s annual Bandersnatch is on Wednesday. Before you go, here are five things you should know about the headliner, Chicago-born, Atlanta-based rapper SahBabii.

1. His real name is Saaheem Valdery

SahBabii’s stage name originates from his aunt, according to XXL Magazine. The 21-year-old rapper told XXL Magazine that “Sah” is short for his first name and his aunt, TeeBaby, inspired the “babii.”

2. He’s a Chicago-born Atlanta rapper

SahBabii moved from Chicago to Atlanta when he was 13 years old. In Atlanta, he started making music with his older brother, T3, also an aspiring rapper.

3. “S.A.N.D.A.S.” brought him to fame

In 2017, SahBabii dropped “S.A.N.D.A.S.” which included the song “Pull Up Wit Ah Stick.” The rapper nearly threw away the song, until a short sample of it grew in popularity on Instagram. It eventually put him on the Billboard “Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs” chart at number 47.

4. He has more than 1 million monthly Spotify listeners

SahBabii has 1,272,450 monthly Spotify listeners — his most listened to song on Spotify is “Pull Up Wit Ah Stick,” featuring Loso Loaded, with more than 30 million plays. “Squidtastic,” his most recent album, dropped Aug. 29, and the most streamed song off that album on Spotify is “Anime World,” also the title of his tour.

5. His family owns a record label

His family owns the production group Casting Bait Music Group and they helped him produce his music. He also signed to Warner Bros. Records in 2017.