Column

SU’s Academic Strategic Plan should encourage student participation in local elections

Nora Benko | Illustration Editor

SU must educate students on local voting issues and foster relationships between the Syracuse community and students as a part of its new Academic Strategic Plan, our columnist writes.

Syracuse University recently released its final draft of its Academic Strategic Plan, in which, among other items, SU pledges to strengthen civic engagement among students.

Under the ASP’s final draft, the First Year Seminar curriculum will be revised to mandate curricular and/or co-curricular education focused on democracy and civil discourse. The ASP’s focus on local civic engagement should just be the beginning. Students can only learn so much about a community they are trying to serve when reading articles, books and listening to lectures. It requires hands-on experience.

As a student at SU, you may have noticed voter registration boxes across our campus. Maybe volunteers have even visited your classes to discuss the upcoming elections in Onondaga County and provide voter registration forms. But, despite these efforts, the enthusiasm for local elections on campus appears to be lacking.

Syracuse has witnessed a decline in voter turnout for local elections. In the 2021 mayoral election, voter turnout was 5 percent less than the previous election in 2017. It marked the lowest mayoral election turnout in the city since 2013 when Mayor Stephanie Miner sought a second term.

SU’s Student Association has taken steps to encourage student participation in elections through the Cuse Otto Vote Initiative, born out of the disappointing voter turnout in the 2016 presidential election.

While campus efforts have focused on voter registration, there’s been a noticeable lack of effort from the university itself to educate students about why and how local elections can impact them for the upcoming election.

In the newly-adjusted FYS course, students should learn about the politics of the area, the community’s main concerns and what is and isn’t being done to address them from people in central New York. The university must set an intention to ask community members to collaborate with them to create a curriculum that explores beyond the hill, setting students up to continue educating themselves about the city after FYS is over.

Emily Essi, a candidate running for County Clerk this fall, called the next generation of voters “a powerful force.” With issues such as climate change, the economy and the cost of living, Essi said, young voters have plenty of important reasons to vote.

Cindy Zhang | Digital Design Director

“I want younger generations to invest here and believe in our community as a place they can call home and settle,” Essi said.

SU students will typically reside in the city for at least four years or longer if they continue their education here. During this time, city policies can significantly impact their lives on and off the hill. When we choose to vote, we can elect representatives who can implement policy and solve societal issues we care about within the city, creating a relationship where students can see Syracuse as home.

Equipping a new generation of voters with the knowledge and awareness is needed to make meaningful and informed political decisions that resonate with their aspirations for the Syracuse community. The university has a responsibility to encourage a stronger bond between the campus and its community by using the Academic Strategic Plan as an opportunity to encourage active participation in local government.

Sarhia Rahim is a junior Policy Studies Major. Her Column appears bi-weekly. She can be reached at slrahim@syr.edu.